Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas in Afghanstan

The MRAP they decorated with Christmas lights... and yes, Santa jumped out of the gunner's turret.

My flannel sheets that I got from my secret Santa!

Me and the decorated MRAP!

Happy Holidays All!

This is the third out of the last four Christmas' that I have not spent in North Carolina with family and friends... and let me tell you it still sucks.

However, out of the three I would say this has been the most memorable one. Lets recap.

Missed Christmas 1:

Watched some lame movie while I was in boot camp at Parris Island. Drill Instructors screamed. Ate 1 oreo cookie as my "present from Santa."

This was of course after I had the 2300-0100 watch on Christmas Eve and was forced by my drill instructors to "go watch for Santa" all around 4th Battalion.

Missed Christmas 2:

I was in Okinawa, Japan with the Hubby. However, we woke up Christmas morning... it was like 55 degrees and had no gifts to open, nor did we have a single Christmas decoration up.

Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing having him there with me and I wouldn't have traded that opportunity for the world... but as they say "misery loves company," which brings me to Christmas in Afghanistan.

Missed Christmas 3:

All the co-workers in my office and I gathered in an entirely way to small room on Christmas Eve and exchanged secret Santa gifts. I got flannel sheets from my secret Santa which was AWESOME, seeing as it has get gotten freezing cold here at night.

Christmas Day I slept until nearly 1500 because I had stayed up til 0330 to talk to the Mounce family. Then I came into work and we all went to chow together. The guys in the chow hall did their best to make it like a real American Christmas dinner, but it was far from the families cooking. However, I applaud their attempt.

Then I stayed after everyone had left and watched "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time with a co-worker. Needless to say, that was a great experience and the movie really brings you back to Earth.

I once again stayed up until ridiculous hours talking to family and friends. I got home at 0300 and overslept and had to knock on my boss lady's door to use my half-day off I had earned from working previous days.

And that brings me to the current times. After a full day at work I am staying up to watch UNC whoop Mizzou in the Independence Bowl.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year from Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment